Friday, October 10, 2008

WA- 2 Draft 1

Tuesday morning- I woke up after the first tech rehearsal with almost no voice. Opening night was Friday. As Reno, my voice was crucial. As a senior in high school with an ambition in musical theatre, this role was crucial to me. I had been working my entire life for this opportunity. I had been in theatre my entire life. My step- dad is the pianist for most of the musical theatre in Charlottesville, and he put me in theatre since I could dance (which was practically before I could walk). I had performed my fair share of small roles from Baby June in Gypsy to Random White Girl #3 in West Side Story. Now, curtain up, light the lights because it’s my turn. I was Reno in Anything Goes. And I had no voice.
My step- dad had no sympathy. He had warned me at rehearsal yesterday not to push over the pit and the tap dancers. I would have a mic. Don’t push, don’t push, don’t push he said over and over again. I still pushed and now I have no voice as evidence.
At school, the news of my lost voice spread quickly around the cast. Panic spread like wildfire. The director, though, remained his calm façade and said that he would figure something out. My dad, who was the vocal coach, began rehearsing the understudy incase, god forbid, she had to be used. Then my director found me in the hall, his dark brown eyes had a shine that reminded me of sparks excitingly flying from coal. He pulled me over, his hands practically jittering from excitement.
‘Allyson,’ he said, the sparks that were in his eyes were apparent in his voice as well. ‘We got the mics.’
I was confused; I knew that we had been fundraising for these new, wireless mics for the 6 leads that were about the size of a pea. He created an imaginary mic near his ear and continued,
‘Well, we were only going to turn the mics on when you sing, but why don’t we just keep your mic on the entire time? That way you don’t have to strain your voice. Now get to class, I’ll see you at rehearsal!’
I almost hugged him. I was going to be able to play Reno. At lunch, I went to get some tea with honey. The air seemed crisper than it had when I had left for school. I called my dad in the car to give him the news. He reminded me how whispering would only hurt my voice more; I should continue to talk at a normal level but drink lots of tea.
Throughout the week, I drank boatloads of tea. My voice came back, but everyone was scared that I would lose it again. I was excited that I had my voice, but now the nerves kicked in. Opening night loomed closer. I knew I was prepared; we had been in rehearsal for 5 months. I just wanted to not to be Allyson for 2 days, I wanted to be Reno Sweeney, the Evangelical night club singer.
Friday night- the lights in the audience went down. You couldn’t tell where the auditorium ended. The lights that were aimed at the stage looked like lasers in a rainbow of colors. I was in the lobby of the theatre, ready to make my dramatic Reno entrance. The pit played the first chord, before going into the theme of the title song. I smiled and asked myself how many times in the course of the past five months had I heard that famous tune? I stood by the door to the theatre, waiting impatiently for my cue. When I heard it, I opened the door and walked towards the rainbow of laser lights, with my 7 backup singers parading behind me. As I walked towards the stage, I felt the slow decline of the floor under my feet; I had to be careful not to hit the filthy orange chairs filled with viewers that came to see me. I knew somewhere in the audience my mom sat, proud of her little girl that used to where coke bottle glasses. My friends from dance school sat, proud of the girl that they had spent hours on end dancing with and singing show tunes with. Probably the most important audience members that sat in those filthy orange chairs was a representative from my dream school- Columbia College of the Performing Arts. He was there to see me, to see Reno. We had three performances, Friday night, a Saturday matinee and a Saturday night. Each performance, I became more and more confident and morphed more and more into Reno. As the last curtain fell Saturday night, my adrenaline was still flowing. I turned to the other leads and felt so proud of them. We didn’t want this to be over.
At the cast party, I knew I wasn’t Reno anymore. I was Allyson again. In the fall, I would leave for Chicago to be a musical theatre major at Columbia College for the Performing Arts on a full dance scholarship. I hope that I will have many more roles as good as Reno. My parents were concerned that I would never get a job. They had faith in my talent, but as my dad has learned, there are many talented actresses auditioning for the same few roles. Playing Reno made me realize what the most successful actresses have gone through, and I know I can handle it.

No comments: